Saturday 2 April 2011

Unnoficial World Record

Many thanks to John Silkstone for the following contribution:


This little snippet is about Tony Fry. Tony and I became great friends and kept in touch from our first meeting in 1962 to his death due to cancer on the 28th July 2010.

Rest in peace Tony.

Silky


UNOFFICIAL WORLD RECORD

Towards the end of 1962, I was asked to perform the ‘Last Offices’ on a patient that had passed away. I asked male nurse Tony Fry to give me a hand; I don’t think he’d seen a cadaver before, and was a little reluctant to assist.
After screening the bed, I showed Tony how we washed, shaved and prepare a body for burial. After washing the front, I ask Tony to give me a hand to turn the body over. Tony was still reluctant, but assisted in turning the body and as we did so, the body expelled some air from the lungs, thus making a groaning sound.
The great feat of Roger Bannister breaking the four minute mile in 1954 was nothing compared to the speed that Tony recorded that day.

On the 4th of December 1962, Tony and Jan Lord both sail on HMS Oxfordshire on its last troop sailing. Jan and some other QARANC nurses were on their way to BMH Gibraltar, while Tony was one of the medics on the round trip and returned to the Tidworth hospital after the voyage.




Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment