Saturday 9 February 2013

The Late Maj- Gen. Patrick Dignan



Back in the 1960's, while based at Tidworth Military Hospital, I had the priveledge of working with a number of people who influenced my training and future learning. They ranged from Ward Sisters, Operating Theatre Sisters, Operating Theatre Technicians, and even  one or two Regimental Seargeant Majors!!!!

Above all those people though, the one name that stands out for me is a man that we Technicians knew as "Paddy" Dignan. Not that we addressed him as such though! Major Dignan he was at the time, a General Surgeon, which really means that he was capable of operating on most areas of the human body, although I would say that Opthalmic Surgery, ENT Surgery and Dental Surgery were not on his list of "To Do's." He was, to me and to many others, a Gentleman. I never knew him to once ignore anyone as he went about his daily work, acknowledging nurses and addressing them politely and with respect, and treating theatre staff in an equally respectful manner. There were of course, moments when it could clearly be seen that he was deep in thought as he walked through the hospital, his mind probably focussed on his next task.

With such excellent memories of this Gentleman, and the influence he had on my training, and that of others, along with his exceptional devotion to the treatment, well being and recovery of his patients, it was with great sadness that I recently learned of his death. I have attached a copy of the Obituary published in the Daily Telegraph, recording the passing of Maj-Gen. Dignan. I won't try to outdo this obituary, but I can add a couple of things that don't feature in it.

Maj. Dignan, as he was when I knew him, always gave the impression of loving his work, and especially his research programmes. His operating days were Tuesday and Thursday, back to back lists which means he was in theatres all day each day. We technicians looked forward to the publication of his surgical lists, with some trepidation-wondering just how many cases he was able to get through in one single day. I don't ever remember seeing short lists. I do remember lists with up to 20 cases though!!

Also memorable was the research programme he conducted with regard to the treatment of Duodenal Ulcers. The work that resulted from the reasearch was lauded world-wide when published. I can't remember how many Vagotomy and Pyloroplasty operations were carried out during that reasearch, but it kept us all very very busy for some time.

You'll notice I am sure, that I have headed this article Maj- Gen. Patrick Dignan. His full name though was Albert Patrick Dignan.  The Albert part of the name was never mentioned by anyone, let alone him. He is quoted as saying he "abhored" the name Albert. The Dignan part of his name is the anglicised version of the Irish name, O'Duigenan. In his book, "A Doctors Experiences Of Life," published in 1994, tells an amusing story of a car salesman and his insistence on addressing him as Albert. I won't disclose the outcome of the potential sale, you can find that out in the book. I would just say that if you should come by a copy of his book, buy it. I am fortunate enough to have a signed copy-NO its's not for sale!!!

Finally, I would reiterate my total respect for a man who became an outstanding surgeon, as well as being a much loved and sorely missed family man.

R.I.P. Patrick Dignan, born July 25th 1920. Died October 11th 2012.


Related articles
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Hello. I was born in Tidworth Military Hospital in 1960 while my father was stationed there in the army medical corps (he was a doctor who later became a pathologist). Just starting to learn about its history. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete