Thursday 15 March 2012

Tidworth Social Life In The Sixties

English: Tidworth - Derelict Shops This area i...Image via Wikipedia"When I was a lad........." How many times have you heard that dreaded saying? Usually it comes from the mouths of the older members of society and is often accompanied by a lecture/sermon. The lecture/sermon usually goes on about just how lucky young people are today. "I never had half of what you lot have got these days-and you still ain't happy."
English: Tidworth - Derelict Shops This was th...Image via WikipediaHeaven forbid that my thoughts on how people like me spent our leisure time back in the "swinging sixties" in Tidworth comes over like a lecture/sermon. If it does, please look upon me with a certain amount of sympathy.

To put the period and the things on offer in Tidworth into perspective, I should explain a little of my background. I arrived in Tidworth from the Junior Tradesmans Regiment, Rhyl.  In those days Rhyl was a bustling holiday resort during the summer. It came with the obligatory fun fair on the sea front, candy floss, sticky sticks of rock and fish and chips by the pantechnicon full. In the winter it was a cold bleak seaside town with little to recommend it other than the Flamingo Cafe, or perhaps the splendid views out across the bay, which on a good day afforded a view as far as Ellesmere Port, Cheshire. Being a Junior Soldier, earning just 3/6d (went up to 6/- a week later) a week, the summer attractions were largely beyond my pocket. Some young soldiers got "support" from home in the form of postal orders. I was one of the many who didn't.

Prior to Rhyl, I lived in the small Buckinghamshire village of Twyford. There was little in the way of social life there I can tell you! The village hall housed a Youth Club that seemed to be available only occasionally. Not a lot to get excited about there then!!! To be honest with you, the move to Tidworth opened up a whole new chapter in my life, my social life that is. So what did we do to amuse ourselves back then?Those of you of reading this who remember more of the life we led in Tidworth than I do, please leave your memories in the "comments" section at the end of this article.  I'll then publish them for you, fully credited to of course.

The NAAFI is usually the place to start. The hospital had its own club/bar. My memories lead me to believe that it consisted of little more than a long bar, a room filled to the brim with tables and chairs, a fruit machine, and a toilet area. The air within the cluttered seating area was permanently blue. No, not with bad language, but with the acrid smell of blue/grey clouds of smoke. The decor was a kind of nocotine colour. I defy anyone to remember seeing any colour other than brown on the walls. You'd think that being Medics and Nurses, there would have been more consideration given to health wouldn't you? Not for one moment, the idea that smoking would lead to ill health didn't cross the mind of anyone using the place-or so it would seem in those days. Another aspect of defiance of any advice regarding future good health manifested itself in the amount of alcohol consumed on a daily, weekly basis. Medics have in the past, been renowned for their apparent alcohol consumption abilities. Members of regiments who held the belief that the average medic was rather less manly than others, were soon relieved of that belief  having lost in a drinking competition. I'm sure it is no longer the case and that habits have changed (as if!!!)

What about beyond the four walls of the NAFFI bar? Just along the road was the YMCA. I used to visit the cafe part to buy a Vanilla Slice from time to time. Not once did I find myself queing for service except during NAFFI break time in the mornings-good cheap place for the local squaddies for a cup of tea and a sticky bun mid-morning. Beyond the morning breaks, the place was not the epicentre of social events.

The Garrison area was blessed shall we say, with a cinema and a theatre. If I remember correctly, the cinema was run by the Army Kinema Corporation (AKC) It was a temporary arrangement, following the burning down of the original cinema, which was  down by what was known as Hampshire Cross. This was simply a cross roads point. It was rather more significant than that though. It was the point where the two "Tidworths" collided!! One part was in Hampshire, the other in Wiltshire. My memories of movies I saw in the temporary cinema are confined to Kubricks "Clockwork Orange." The Garrison Theatre, while not open every day of the week, did stage some excellent presentations. Most were visiting pop stars of the day performing their hits. I also have memories of dances being arranged from time to time. (I hope my memory is right about this.)

What else could we get up to of an evening, or even during the day? Staion Road was the "main street" of Tidworth. Here could be found a green grocers shop, owned by Shaw Porter. There was a chemist, a dry cleaners, a cafe and a NAFFI store. (There were other shops, but I don't remember them.) The cafe, The Vic as it was known was most poular with the hospital staff. So popular I would suggest, that if they stopped using it, it would have risked closure. There was a juke box that never seemed to be quiet for longer than it took to load the next disc, pretty young ladies serving the coffee and a good sandwich when required. An altogether good place to be.

As you might guess, there were more places than mentioned above in such a large and important Garrison village. I'll get on to those in the next part of this look at social life in Tidworth mid to late sixties. Look out for Murder Most Foul amongst other things!!







Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment