Tuesday 10 May 2011

Cruel Winter of '62/63

By Jove, It Was Cold

Where were you in 1962/63 and what were you doing? I know where I was, but I'll recall my memories after this look back into the past from John Silkstone. He was at that time a serving soldier in the R.A.M.C, in Tidworth
                                                                ....................................................


IT’S A GOOD JOB I’VE GOT A THICK SKULL.

A few days later, I’d been to the NAFFI for my 10 o’clock break and was walking back to the reception when I heard a loud cracking sound then everything turned black. I woke up six hours later in recovery ward.
There was so much snow and ice on the trees that one of the boughs had bro ken , falling on my head rendering me unconscious. I was very lucky, in that the bough only caught me a glancing blow on the back of my head, which shot me forward and away from further injuries. I was told later by the REME lads who removed the bough that it weighed nearly a ton.
The winter of 1962/63 was recorded on record as the worst since 1740. It was so cold that Whitstable Harbour froze for half a mile out to sea. Members of Blackpool Football Club were photographed ice-skating on their playing pitch, and in parts of the UK the snow was so high that it covered the tops of telegraph poles.

                                                            ..............................................

It was clearly a good day for John, the British Army and a certain young lady, Jan, who was to become John's wife.

Where was I? I was completing the last part of my secondary education. I was dreaming of joining the Buckingham and Bedfordshire Contabulary as a Police Cadet. My parents owned a Small Holding on which they reared Chickens, Ducks and Geese. The winter, as mentioned by John, was a stinker and I was afforded the dubious honour of attending to the feeding needs of the birds in order that they grew to maturity and therefore were saleable. I also worked at weekends and during holidays on a local farm, at 10 shillings a week, tramping through very very deep snow taking bales of hay to stranded cattle. Oh! what fun we had.

My career in the police? I got fed up with waiting for a response so I applied to join the Army. Two weeks after joining up I received a letter inviting me to attend interview and sit an entrance examination. I wonder who got the best deal-the Police who had to struggle on for the next 24 years without me, or the Army that got me?


Follow DoYouWorryToo on Twitter


No comments:

Post a Comment